2018-19 Exhibition Rules
Coachella Valley Watercolor Society

MISSION STATEMENT:

To promote the creative talents and art appreciation of its members and to stimulate art interest and support art education for the young people in the Coachella Valley.

GENERAL:

In order to enter CVWS shows, members must have paid their dues/renewals prior to December 31st of the current fiscal year

ALLOWED:

  • Original art created in the last two years
  • Art shown at a meeting or ‘Painter of the Month.

NOT ALLOWED:

  • Art created in a class or workshop
  • Art that is a copy or a study of another artist’s work (including commercial photography). This is because of copyright laws.
  • Any art that is not original to the artist
  • Art previously exhibited in any CVWS judged show
  • Art that is damaged, inappropriate for public display i.e. nudity, improperly framed, or does not meet entry requirements.

SIZE:

  • Annual Show sizes: Maximum 46”; minimum size 5” on any outside edge of frame, canvas or board.
  • Mini Masterpiece Show sizes: maximum 18”; minimum 5” on any outside edge.

MEDIUMS:

  • Artwork must be water-media painted in a primarily aqueous manner.
  • Non water-based media may be integrated but cover no more than 20% of the artwork. No oils, water- miscible oils, encaustics, or photography.

TRADITIONAL PRESENTATION CATEGORY:

Artwork may be presented on watercolor paper, paper based board, watercolor canvas, Yupo or other synthetic paper.

In order to be accepted and judged, all Traditional Presentation paintings MUST be:

  • Matted and framed (mats may be of any color but must be clean and well cut) No Clip Frames.
  • Under plexiglass if painting is larger than 16? x 20?. Paintings 16” x 20” or smaller may be under glass or plexiglass. Floated framed painting (no mat)… must have spacers to keep art from touching inside plexi/glass and be floated on mat board.
  • Backed with foam core, mat board or other hardboard i.e., masonite. Black or white only. No cardboard.
  • All frames must be wired. (DO NOT pull the wire tight.) Wire secured one-fourth of total height down from top of frame, looped through D- rings (no eyelet screws).

OPEN PRESENTATION CATEGORY:

  • Paintings may be on wrapped canvas or “cradled” painting panels with a minimum depth of 1 ½”.
  • The sides of wrapped canvases must be staple free.
  • Canvas boards (including clayboard, aquabord, gesso board or canvases less than 1 ½” deep) must be framed.
  • Paintings without glass or plexiglass must be protected with a layer of medium, acrylic varnish or paint, including sides.
  • All work must be wired for hanging.

PLEIN AIR CATEGORY:

  • Plein air paintings may be presented in Traditional or Open format.
  • 80% of submitted work must be painted plein air, remaining 20% may be painted in the studio.
  • May be any plein air subject from any location.

BIN PAINTINGS:

  • Must be original.
  • Acrylics on paper or canvas paper are allowed.
  • All work must be matted, backed with foam core, double mat board or hardboard the same size as the mat, and enclosed inside an acetate sleeve that has been fitted to the size of the mat (or professionally shrink-wrapped).
  • No cardboard backing.

Revised 11/8/2017